Skip Menu
Content Menu

home TOPICSEnergy

Energy

• Print
  • facebook
Parts and materials technology development
Minister Joo attends launch of electric vehicle charging station in heart of Seoul 2017-02-10
도심생활형 전기차 충전소 개소식 및 협약식.JPG 1
Trade, Industry and Energy Minister Joo Hyunghwan (left) checked out an electric vehicle charging equipment displayed in Yongsan Station in central Seoul, on February 9, during his visit to the station for the opening ceremony of the flagship downtown electric vehicle (EV) charging facility. 

The EV recharging station with 21 chargers is located at the I’Park Mall that connects a hypermarket, a movie multiplex and a train station, and will allow EV drivers recharge their vehicles while shopping and exploring cultural activities. 

“Electric vehicles, which enable smart consumption of energy on the road, are the key to the new energy industry,” Minister Joo said in a congratulatory speech. “The EV charging station at the I’Park Mall in Yongsan Station, which opened today, will serve as a catalyst to accelerate the arrival of the electric vehicle era.” 

The Ministry plans to distribute 10,000 EV chargers this year in addition to the existing 10,000. At the opening ceremony, Korea Electric Power Corp. (Kepco), Korea Railroad Corp. (KoRail), Emart, Homeplus and Nonghyup Hanaro Mart signed an agreement on cooperation for installing one or more EV charging point in every hypermarket and at least two in each train station.

The ceremony was attended by Kepco CEO Cho Hwan-eik, KoRail CEO Hong Soon-man and HDC Hyundai I’Park Mall CEO Yang Chang-hoon as well as around 150 representatives from major hypermarket operators, carmakers and EV-charger manufacturers.